Monday, January 4, 2016

Wheeling with new wheels- working

My next area to address, employers, is starting to come together quite well. I wasn't sure how to deal with this extremely important issue but I know that the usual "hire the handicapped" isn't getting as much attention. Money was increased for placement but the number of placements did not rise. I believe that job development should start with establishing relationships with employers. Once you have an employer who is interested in the benefits of hiring a person with a disability, there are many, the person is more likely to contact the agency when a job becomes available. If I have a simple face to face meeting similar to an informational interview then discuss financial incentives for employers, I would have an interesting topic worth listening to but as an individual within no agency behind me. I would be as positive as possible not discuss negatives such as fines for lack of enforcement, costs of reasonable accommodations, etc. I want to hear business concerns and discuss the high percentages that disabled employees receive for vocational qualities such as safety, attendance, and performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment