Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Wheeling with new wheels

Today I spoke with the director of the Office of Aging. I was horrified by the way a caseworker was communicating with my friend who is a consumer. I was sad that she saw nothing wrong with being spoken to in such a condescending manner since it was always that way. The director apologized and said they do include disability sensitivity in their trainings. Unfortunately it is just touched on and rarely remembered or implemented. It needs to be emphasized and role playing should be done. I mentioned "The 10 Commandments of speaking with someone with a disability." The director expressed interest in scheduling the film once there is more time. Without the PA Budget being passed caseworker jobs are not being filled and they are working overtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment