Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Times have changed.

I asked the Careerlink director what, in detail, she wanted me to speak about in addition to showing the film on "10 Commandments of Speaking with People with Disabilities." I figured a quick list of strategies for implementing disability inclusion. Instead she was interested in the topic of encouraging employers to hire individuals with challenges. When I was a job placement counselor I never gave a second thought about meeting with the prospective employer, leaving the person with my sales book, and discussing the positions available when I came to pick it up. Apparently this is no longer the protocol nor is it as easy. I feel like my experience will be quite useful. It is interesting that each speech is different though they're all about hiring workers who have disabilities. So I'll slowly get back in my field but it will be from the employer's viewpoint. I will enjoy practicing this talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment