Monday, August 7, 2017

Her thoughts?

At the Science Factory I arrange for disability experiences for the kids but I spend most of my time volunteering. That job involves disconnecting Kne'x. Today I did this for hours at a time and it really resembled that of a sheltered workshop. Once the pieces are separated they must be organized into their own bins. A parent was watching me and on her cell phone the entire time. I couldn't help wondering what the lady was thinking. Perhaps nothing but I was really perpetuating the stereotype. However, I may get this into a newspaper article, it's quite a unique way to teach disability awareness. This is a great bunch of people and 1 or 2 will participate in a "Shopping on Wheels" at the mall. I have always wanted to do the experience and it will happen in the next 3 weeks. One girl in my chair today actually counted the number of people who stared at her while in a wheelchair- that's the whole idea of doing it in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment