Monday, December 10, 2018

Helping veterans

I wanted to hold a veterans café in Lancaster similar to the ones in Carlisle but that never materialized. However, there is more than one way to reach that goal. Hospice has a need for someone to visit veterans and just talk to them. I can do that with one alteration, I can encourage them to discuss their lives which included their military experiences. This could lead to my ultimate goal of increasing society's awareness of less glamorous populations- people with disabilities and veterans. Changing people's focus to remember good things and keeping them occupied has been the successful technique of choice in many cases. Just showing up as a person who uses a wheelchair may also be a "useful" tool. Probably I'll find other veteran groups to get involved with; this will result in a win-win for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment