Thursday, December 13, 2018

PA Cares

The presenter discussed an employment program just for vets. There's a comprehensive and complex website created for veterans and explained how it works. They also discussed how many employers want to hire veterans. I asked what programs there are to educate employers regarding the benefits and challenges of the hiring processes. People were not expecting this kind of question and the presenter said it was an important question. They discussed it a bit and then they went back to describing the features of the website. A bit later I commented that this website is going to look hard to understand so professionals should help the vets go through it. Again nobody thinks about this and it is obvious that vets are not in contact with these people. I could see myself helping just by explaining this website to vets. Later I asked if job coaches were involved to help vets perform the job. I explained what the role of a job coach since they all seemed to be unfamiliar. I am not a veteran but neither was the presenter, both of us are spouses of military people so I have a good chance of working with veterans. I can do this under the radar and just get a lot of good experience speaking with employers and groups. I came home, shared this with Terry, and sure enough he insisted that employers are not that motivated, at least not in Lancaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment