Sunday, March 26, 2017

Doing what's unfamiliar

I volunteered to interview six staff in an accounting company in order to determine a prestigious ethics in business award. I knew it would be a brand new experience that was completely out of my comfort zone. I was afraid of hindering the company's chances of winning since I knew my ability to take good notes and ask appropriate questions was going to be foreign to me. I kept coming up with reasons to cancel (missing a SHRM meeting, fragile fingers, out of my element, etc.) but the entire time a little voice in head insisted that I attend. I am glad I did and I'm glad- well mostly). The interview I conducted was a collaborative effort by the entire group and I am not the only one writing a report. Furthermore, the final report will be a single collaborative effort by all the entire group. I will now use this experience as the example of the importance of tenacity. Sure I had a humiliating experience in October when the entire panel was a "no show." However, I have now chosen to travel a different route with the same message and a different kind of audience. May 9th I'm giving a big talk to human resource professionals but it will be fine since I know what the issue was (relying on strangers) and my own confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment