Friday, March 17, 2017

Public Bathrooms

A local agency is actually pursuing options and finances- who would have thought? ADA has "mandated" that they all include 1 stall that is twice as big. Many include 1 that is 1/2 a size bigger. I just listened to an agency that has plans to either designate a bathroom downtown that has a few adaptive toileting options. Problems addressed included vandalism, approval, and money. People in the audience came up with a few solutions including a key entry so it's locked unless it's being used by those who need it and a mobile site which can travel to locations where the people who really need them go. That is one of the components of inclusion the decision makers did not really consider. I myself would love to travel overseas but would never be able to use a bathroom for 10 hours and that makes it impossible. The answer non-disabled give is to just use a catheter and I guess many do but I won't. Maybe I can help by locating someone rich and disable who will provide the finances.

No comments:

Post a Comment