Monday, October 9, 2017

portalete problems

Bathroom issues have been pretty common in my life. I dreaded getting help for such personal needs. My public outings were less frequent than they are now for that very reason. I designed a toilet seat inside my manual wheelchair using a cool whip dish. I went a few places I wouldn't have. After the Americans with Disabilities Act my quality of life, and others in wheelchairs, grew. Mandating Title 3, Public Accommodations assures me that most bathroom stalls would be larger. I've even used a few portaletes at outside events. That was until yesterday at a country music festival. There were more than a few larger ones. Once I wheeled close I saw that they were not close to the ground. Oh well, I figured I can still manage. I opened the door and was horrified that there was absolutely no space for a wheelchair to get inside! It took 15 minutes to get approval to visit a toilet inside a building on the grounds. The police, security guards, and staff were completely perplexed why I could not use what they had. I wanted to show them but no one was interested in observing my explanation. My concern was others in my situation. Sure enough the mother of the guy in my row said they would go home early (30 minutes away) if her son became desperate. WHAT? I find it appalling that the company who manufacture these useless things make tons of money and have no concern that they can not be used. I plan to give Red Rose Solutions a lesson in accessibility because they do not offer me a solution, just one heck of a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment