Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The VA Summit

Friday is a program on mental health and suicide prevention. I expect to learn more information and meet people who would benefit from these programs. I hope there are veterans attending because there are many other issues that need to be addressed but may not be. One important issue continuation of services regardless of where a veteran is living. The VA seems to be ready to cancel ones services if they move into a place that do not fit their exact guidelines. First I am interested in seeing on paper what the exact guidelines are to receiving services. Then there should be exceptions if the situation is not their own fault. In this case, the place where a veteran I know was placed was unaffordable after the first year. Consequently there was no choice but to move or be evicted after exhausting community resources for rent. The source of the problem was not discussed among the VA staff. I would love to advocate for that person. An investigation can be done anyway- retroactively. I'm sure this is not an isolated incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment