Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Moving with Wheels

Apartment hunting is usually stressful for those of us who need bathrooms and their doors to be wide, shower spickets to be in the correct direction in order to transfer on a bench, and entrances without steps. Accessibility means different things to different apartment managers. Then there is the matter of discrimination such as curb cuts for $1500+ to be paid by the resident, anonymous complaints from other residents, and office workers who create extra charges (most of which are subjective). Discrimination is so difficult when the complex is part of a high end company. I had been living in a place I had to park sideways with my ramp open if I wanted to get in. I planned to move to a larger more accessible place within the complex and they forced me to pay a fine for breaking my lease. Then they delayed the move with two different reasons but never ever informed us. Then they wouldn't give us the key on the day they promised. The place we just moved to was unplanned, it was perfect but the lady in charge had no plans to inform us since it wasn't initially available. Now they lady in charge is going to inspect my old place before they return any of my deposit. She also said we may have to pay more than the deposit AND they will not give me any idea till after the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment