Friday, November 30, 2018

A "newbie"

I went out with a lady who became much more physically involved in the summer. She was talking of her discoveries about accessible parking spots, people asking her for help, and needing to be driven everywhere. It was interesting to hear her perspective because I never think of typical issues I only concentrate on solving them as they relate to me. Regarding parking my only issue is the islands throughout the entire lot, especially next to the close spaces. I can't use them then let my ramp down because I could never get off of them. Regarding people's offers (sometimes they don't ask) I said in order to be as independent as possible I can't worry about offending them. I lost a lot of potential friends, and perhaps should have been more sensitive, but I couldn't just rely on others generosity or sympathy cause in the end I would be hurting myself. Regarding driving, I still take buses to save gas but I'm always grateful I have the option. What bothers me is when others who can't drive get angry at me for being able to drive. I gave her the following advice. First- Pick your battles and not let everything bother you. There will always be others "to teach" and it will eventually drive you nuts. Second- Think and plan ahead each day rather than dwelling on challenges. If you do this you'll be able to have more time to enjoy the experience. Third- Think of how something could be worse and realize that it's not so bad. Like the cloud with the silver lining but much more specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment