Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Wheeling with new wheels

A few years ago I discovered a story about a person with a disability who endured a lot in order to be approved to drive. He then was organizing a non-profit to help others like him afford vehicles. When I discovered he was from York, the next town over, I knew I wanted to be involved. Months passed and my attempts to connect never really materialized. Then I was invited to a meeting by the group. I traveled an hour each way but I knew that this was something I would love. I moved closer within Lancaster so it's a 30 minute drive to meetings. I was still not really helping; since I was from Lancaster, I was not familiar with the people and places they discussed. Recently I found my niche and I have become "driven" to make "Drive for Independence" successful. I have gotten them a few big ticket items for their event in August; I created a manuscript for people who want help raising money themselves(consumers must have some skin in the game); I am contributing to a calendar that will be a fundraiser; and I will be creating a cookbook. I'm so happy to be part of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment