Saturday, May 14, 2016

Wheeling with new wheels

I am a huge proponent of living independently in the community; however the person must be A) realistic and B) have a support system. I have a friend who is very impaired physically and 66 years old. She never went places and never had real friends; she just never got a chance to prove herself in society. I have only known her for 1 1/2 years so I don't really know how hard she'd tried. I know she's allowed a homeless man live with her as her "attendant" for years. Each time he finds a girlfriend he moves out and she's left to fend for herself. Lately the apartment management evicted him and told her she'd be also if he doesn't leave. She's had bedbugs for at least a year but never told anyone till now. I feel badly but she is not able to manage any of this herself and surely can't afford a new bed. Office of Aging helps sometimes by sending her people to help but they do not let her know at all. Sometimes they come just to claim their hours and leave. She may realize or be forced to realize that she can't live like this forever. I'm moving out in 4 days and I will be staying away this week as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment