Saturday, December 10, 2016

Disability?

Hospitals are unbelievably unfamiliar when a disability question is posed! They refuse to drive me 3 miles from a local hotel to the hospital; they have not idea what to do with my power chair once I am put in a gurney; they give incorrect answer when asked about accommodations. I was even asked, by a pre-registration staff, how I feel after walking a flight of stairs. WHAT? If medical professionals are clueless but considered to be the experts that's pretty scary... and harmful. I have been given medication that has made me even weaker than I was to begin with! Sensitivity training for doctors, nurses, and paraprofessionals is crucial but of course no one would admit their lack of knowledge. It's so sad because the person is really not respected or even consulted but the individual is the REAL expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment