Sunday, December 3, 2017

Go with your gut

I always tell people that regardless of how many degrees people have you know you the best. I went for a wheelchair evaluation. I've always been unhappy with my wheelchairs. Providers often strongly encourage a person to purchase a wheelchair that is at their location even if it does not gel with specifications. This time the evaluator wanted me to have a chair that reclined, leg rests lifted, and raised up high. I would barely get through most doorways it would be so big. She then brought out a chair with small foot plates, a totally different structure than what I've had, a reclining option, and legs that extended. She said I needed to adapt to the recent wheelchair changes. WHAT? I've adapted to everything in life on a daily basis. My needs include getting through doorways, inside bathroom stalls, and in the e-z lock for driving. I was very uneasy and my gut told me this wasn't the right one. I went home, got on the computer, and in 2 minutes found the perfect chair. Now why didn't she tell me that I should check out others that aren't at her location? Does she get anything for selling the one she chose for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment