Thursday, January 18, 2018

Unique ideas

I attended a grant meeting on an RFP entitled "Employer Centered Employment." I have been mentioning my idea about putting the employer, who is the decision maker, the center rather than the consumer. People looked at me like I had two heads. That is the opposite of the way it is done. Well, it has not worked very well so why are we continuing to do it this way? I learned that the Disabilities Council had the grant 13 years ago but there were no better ways offered from the grantees and therefore, this was all cancelled. This time 1 question was asked about paying the consumer to work with grant money. 1 question was asked if money from the state agency could be used for the grant (which requires matching funds). Does anyone actually "get it." Why should consumers be paid to be placed? That's the job of the employer once placed- it's called a paycheck. Money from the state agency if for the consumer's job needs why would it go to the staff for the grant? I offered to help a local agency but I think they may be intimidated because of all I have done for this project due to my interest. It's not a job to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment