Sunday, November 6, 2016

Futures Planning

This is a new concept for most people, especially parents of kids with intellectual disability. I joked that it's not rocket science; after a few hours of reading and summarizing it isn't. I'd like to work on it with the lawyer who was interested in collaborating on programs. She had the program planned and was going to write to support groups but never contacted me about this. I always talk about taking a different angle in my approach- this is it. I hope that I can make some things happen for parents. It looks complex but doesn't have to be. I want to then refer parents to programs like "Visions for equality" in order to learn more. It would be a good thing for people to understand. It's mainly about families and friends planning a quality life for those kids who usually get stuck in the system. There are many charts, and colorful maps but it is just about thinking ahead, thinking outside the box, and getting natural community supports involved in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment