Thursday, November 24, 2016

Possessive Parents

My arthrogrypois lead to scoliosis now to spinal stenosis and a sudden operation. I know I will be able to handle it but what I'll have trouble handling is my parents taking over my life. I fought so hard for independence but when parents see their adult child as a 'helpless handicap' it makes recovery so much more difficult. Attitude is more than 1/2 the battle and can make the entire thing worse. That also makes empowerment of people with disability difficult, then the child remains a child and the life quality is limited. I need to find a half - way point, perhaps I recruit others to intervene. Then I can take the personal lesson that I learn and use it to help others. I'll make it into a case study for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment