Sunday, October 9, 2016

Perspectives

"Working on Wheels" is an experiential program to understand how to manage in a wheelchair. It is about how much a person who is able to accomplish despite not using legs to get around. I have not done it in awhile, my focus is disability awareness programs. The local newspaper is interested in talking with someone who participated in the particular program. I asked a few people and reactions are interesting. I hope to dispel myths with this activity. If the event is going shopping the focus should be on having fun. It's not meant to be uncomfortable or upsetting, I want to learn how to approach it differently and ease society's minds on the topic. Perhaps if people do it together in groups of friends but that could increase stranger's curiosity and likelihood to stare. I must find a better way to do this- maybe this is the key inclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment