Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A for Advocacy

I just HAD to follow through with the ambulance issue. 3 different departments were responsible for the reason why I was upset. First there was the case worker who insisted I'd be getting transported by ambulance without my wheelchair. That was the crux of the situation she admitted it to me but told a patient care worker that it was medically necessary that I be transported (without my chair). Second the nurse had no intention on putting my clothes on for the ambulance ride (I insisted she change her plans). Third the ambulance workers did not ask for my insurance and said they weren't allowed nor cared about my wheelchair arriving. I wrote letters to all three departments, printed them out in the hospital library, went to the administrative offices, and was then encouraged to meet with the patient care manager(they wanted the patient care woman to be present to offer an overview). Then I explained she didn't really understand the situation because she was told by the care manager something different than I was. Upon listening to me for a few minutes that lady knew there was no need for the lady. We had a productive meeting- she was respectful, she knew I knew my rights (I deserved to be informed of my options), she said most patients allow things to happen, and I think she was impressed that I was looking out for others who were going through the same thing. She admitted the need for sensitivity trainings. I may be invited to do one- who better?

No comments:

Post a Comment