Sunday, April 16, 2017

My disability doesn't decide things

My friend moved in my apartment and an accessible double became available at the same time. Initially the plan was to move but I really didn't want to move my hospital bed or lose my walk-in closet. I was situated here and knew deep down I knew it would be fine right here. Everyone thought it was a no-brainer but a roll-in shower rather than a tub and a designated parking space in front would be the selling points. I would not be able to reach any of the sinks nor would I have much closet space. This morning we just finished moving things around and now our computers are on tables side by side PLUS the exercise equipment and the scooter are inside. I am happy as a clam that I trusted my feelings on this decision. Sometimes bigger is not better and a disability is not a decision maker. Often others, especially professionals, advise people with disabilities to do things based on the challenge hence the unnecessary ambulance ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment