Friday, June 2, 2017

New blood

I met an auto mechanic who, after I showed the inside of my van, really wanted to learn how. I called a number of places including NMEDA, the certification place who had no idea. Then I called a Mobility Works service man. He explained the process and it was just as complicated as I suspected. You get a job as a technician at a dealer and then get trained in each modality separately. I asked the likelihood of getting hired to start with and it depends how far the person is willing to travel. The closest place in this area is in Harrisburg and they rarely hire. I called the individual back and he was not deterred. I don't want to sound too negative about this job because I consider these people to be surgeons. It's just that I worry the whole field will be phased out. If OVR doesn't have the money to pay for the adaptation work there won't be much business from individuals. However, perhaps these skills could be used for "the car of the future?" That may also have similar driving controls.

No comments:

Post a Comment