Friday, December 12, 2014

Workout and weight loss on wheels- it is not easy

It is very hard for a person with a pretty severe disability to lose weight. "Since eating is one of the things I can control then why should I give it up?" (Is what I sometimes think). Then I consider the full picture and remember seeing people in wheelchairs who really let themselves go. Not only did they acquire diabetes but their muscles atrophied. Muscles that aren't being used so they just shut down and stopped working altogether. I then ask myself if I want to be in their shoes (often their shoes weren't worn) because their immediate gratification lead to serious long term problems of depression and poor quality of life. That's why I am taking the time to find realistic ways to exercise and lose weight. I'm exploring seasonings so foods won't taste bland and I am going to do workout regularly. Sure it will not be easy or fun but it will be worth it. I am trying to think of ways to motivate others who are in my "shoes."

No comments:

Post a Comment